Saturday, May 31, 2014

Josephine Peak W6/CT-025


A view of Josephine Peak, W6/CT-025, while driving up Angeles Crest Highway.  A major fire, known as the "Station Fire", burned through the area in 2009.  Josephine Peak and the surrounding area has been closed since the fire to allow the new vegetation to grow.  The closure was lifted last weekend.


Parking is on Angeles Forest Highway at Angeles Crest Highway, the same as Pt. 4202, W6/CT-150.  It is a four mile hike on a dirt road with a nearly 1900 foot elevation gain.  Part of the trail had some shade in the morning, but was fully exposed on the trip home.  The four miles up took me 1:42 minutes, while the four mile trek down took about 1:20 minutes.


Here is the start of the dirt road on the north side of Angeles National Forest.  There is a gate blocking the road and the forest service forgot to take down the area closed signs.



After nearly 2.5 miles and a 1300 foot elevation gain, you arrive at Josephine Junction.  Turning right, as depicted in the photo, will take you to Strawberry Peak.  Turning left, behind me, will take you Josephine Peak.  It is just over 1.5 miles to the peak from the junction, with a gradual 600 foot elevation gain.


Roxy often gets ahead of me on the hikes.  She took a break in the shade waiting for me to catch up.


The road comes to an end and it is a short hike up a trail to the peak.


The benchmark was easy to find on a cement slab.  I had read there was a summit log, but I forgot to check for it.


I found the geocache on the summit.  The last log entry was 2009.  The canister was damaged, so I replaced it with a small tea canister and returned it to the hiding spot.


There was a fire tower on the peak many years ago.  The only thing that remains of the tower are the four posts.


I anchored the Jackite to one of the tower posts. This was challenging, due to the weight of the Jackite and it fell over the first time I had it extended. Another option, depending on what type of pole you have, would be to place it in the rocks adjacent to the post.


I sloped the antenna over the side of the peak and tied it off to an old, burned tree.


Not sure what type of camera this is, maybe a weather cam, but it is directed towards Mt. Wilson.


There are several SOTA summits surround Josephine Peak.  To the left of the flag is Strawberry Peak (W6/CT-018) and to the right is Mt. Lawlor (W6/CT-089)


PT. 4202  W6/CT-150


Hoyt Mtn.  W6/CT-146


Mt. Lukens  W6/CT-030.  There are also views of San Gabriel Peak, Mt. Gleason, and Pacifico Mtn.


While activating, I heard a couple of voices behind and below me.  I looked down and saw two deputy sheriff's from Crescenta Valley Sheriff's Station.  I recognized one of them and shouted over to him.  Somewhat startled (they didn't see me on the peak), he replied, "Mike, what the hell are you doing up here?"  They hiked up and were quite interested in SOTA.  They were working the mountain car and are responsible for patrolling the Angeles National Forest.  Next time, I think I will hitch a ride with them.


Roxy found what little shade there was on the peak and settled in for a nap on the cool cement.  This may be her last hike for the summer as the road/trail is getting hot on her paws.

It was another awesome SOTA adventure.  Hal, N6JZT, contacted me on 2 meters from over 30 miles away and spotted me.  He also contacted and spotted on 20, 40 and 12 meters.  I had a lot of contacts from all over the country, including two from British Columbia.  12 meters was quite active with east coast stations.  Thank you to all chasers and spotters!

2m - N6JZT, KN6CCW, KK6HRS, KK6EHQ

20m - W0MNA, W0ERI, N0OI, NS7P, W7RV, W2USA, NE4TH, K6EL, AE9F, N6AKI, N6JZT, WR5U, N4MJ, KA5PVB, N7KRN, VA7VJ

40m - WA6RIC, N6AKI, W7RV, N6KZ

12m - N6AKI, N6JZT, N7UT. AF1T. N4EX, K6AA, N1EU, KB1RJD, VE7WJ, KB1RJC, W6HRH, W4JKC, W3DIY

No comments:

Post a Comment