Saturday, November 15, 2014

Reyes Peak W6/CC-005

The drive to the Reyes Peak trail head took 2:13 from the Crescenta Valley, including a stop at McDonalds in Gorman.  Some directions recommend going up the 33 through Ojai.  I decided to take the route via Frazier Park as I am quite familiar with that route and estimated it would take about 2 hours to get to the trail head.  It was a nice cool morning when I arrived at the parking spot ( 34° 38.090'N  119° 17.572'W ).


On the drive from the Lockwood Valley, I came across this farmer who had three dogs in the back of his truck.  Roxy was giving them a good look as we passed.


I stopped for a few geocaches along the trail.



Directions to the trail head and Reyes Peak can be found at Sierra Club's Hundred Peaks website Reyes Peak .  The driving directions are via Ojai and I hiked Route 1 in the Sierra Club directions.  Follow the dirt road to the trail head.  There are two trails to the left of the dirt road.  Take the right trail, as the left trail will lead to Haddock Mountain.  Take the trail to the right of the Wilderness sign at  34° 38.114'N 119° 17.422'W.  The trail is very steep for the first 1/4 mile and then becomes a gradual, pleasant hike to the peak.

 
There are some nice views along the trail.  Reyes Peak as seen from a false summit.


The actual peak is on the rocks where the benchmark and summit log are located.




I set up just below the peak, well within the activation zone.  There are plenty of trees for an antenna.




As I began the activation, Roxy was out cold for her nap.


I had no luck on 2m with any contacts.  I was able to hit the PAPA repeater on Oat Mountain.  I set the wrong time on the SOTA  Alert, as I forgot to make the adjustment for the recent time change. Thank you chasers and spotters!

20m - N6AKI, W7RV, KF7JQV, K6HPX, WG0AT, WB5USB, KA5PVB, KY7S, W0MNA, W0ERI, K6TUY, N6JZT, NS7P

40m - NA6MG, KB6CIO, KN6CCW, N6AKI, K6EL, K6TUY, KG6URJ

12m - N6AKI, KG6URJ, AI6J, VE7VZ

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike:

    Nice activation! IS this area closed (due to snow) in late January / February?
    Tried e-mailing your QRZ e-mail address w/o success.
    73, K7MAS

    ReplyDelete