Saturday, February 13, 2016

PT. 3853 W6/CT-165

The parking to CT-165 was about a 45 minute drive from my house.  I loaded up Roxy, stopped at Starbucks for a cup of coffee, and hit the road.  I exited on Agua Dulce Road from the 14 freeway and drove through a nice country feel community to Sierra Hwy. Once on Sierra Hwy, I followed Dan's (NA6MG) directions posted on the SOTA website for Pt 3853.  I turned left on Sierra Hwy, right on Mint Cyn Rd to Peterson Rd.  I turned on to the dirt road and had no problem driving up the steep road to a parking area near the towers.





From the parking area, my GPS had the hike at 2.36 miles each way.  The elevation gain from the parking area was 1225'.  It took me 1 hour and 9 minutes going up and about 45 minutes on the way back.  This is a nice hike in the winter, as it would be hot and exposed during the summer.  If you go in the warmer months, start out early, watch for snakes, and bring plenty of water.   


The dirt road is actually part of the PCT.  I always enjoy hiking on the PCT, thinking of those hikers that make the trek from the border with Mexico to Canada.  There was a large ranch below as well as the body of a large jet.




At N 34 31.600 W 118 18.808, there is a fork in the road.  Go left, leaving the dirt road to a fire break that follows the ridge line.  Pt 3853 can be seen in the distance in the center of the photo.



Continue along the trail until you get to another fork at N 34 32.215 W 118 17.942.  Take the trail to the right.  Follow the trail to the next fork at N 34 32.305  W 118 17.615 and follow the trail to the right.  The summit is a short, easy stroll from here.




The summit levels out and there are numerous places to set up a station.  The views are nice from the summit.





It took me a while to set up the antenna.  I attached the pole to old yucca trees and as I tightened the antenna, the yucca would break.  I finally attached the pole to the base of a bush.  My activation location provided nice views of Agua Dulce down below.  I had planned on trying out my new "10/20/40 Trail Friendly" antenna from LNR.  However, I thought I left it in the truck.  After setting everything up, I found it in the bottom of my pack.  I will try it on the next adventure.  I am always looking for ways to cut pack weight. 






It was a nice day for a hike to Pt 3853 due to the morning weather being on the cool side. It did warm up by the time I finished my activation and I had to take off my beanie and fleece pullover. Thank you to all chasers!  I made the following contacts: 

10m - NG6R

20m - W0MNA, W0ERI, N7BHP, W7LOU, KA5PVB, WB5USB, KD5MFS, NS7P

40m - KX6A, KB6CIO, W7RV, N6JZT, K6HPX

1 comment:

  1. Mike, great to get you in the log. Nice detailed report. I enjoy seeing the other side of the contact for SOTA. Thanks for posting this.

    Michael KX6A

    ReplyDelete