Saturday, March 5, 2016

Mt. McDill W6/CT-118

I have wanted to activate on Mt McDill for some time, but weather is always a factor.  This summit is susceptible to high winds.  Today was a perfect day.  Temperature was low 60's when I arrived at the parking location and no wind!  Roxy and I stopped at Starbucks in the neighborhood before starting the approximate one hour drive up the 14 fwy.  I exited  and made a left on Palmdale Bl which becomes Elizabeth Lake Rd to Bouquet Cyn Rd. where I turned left.  The parking for McDill is at     N34° 35.198' W118° 18.322'.  The hike to the summit is nearly 3.5 miles with a 1500' elevation gain.

 
After parking, follow the Edison road to the gate.  When parking, the sign on the gate warns to not block the gate.  Walk past the gate and follow the road.

 
At N34° 35.139' W118° 18.191' you come to the first fork.  Follow the road to the left.


The dirt road is in very good condition and offers some nice views of the surrounding, rolling hills. At  N34° 34.845' W118° 17.736' it is time to leave the road and follow the trail to your right.




The trail is in good shape and offers some nice views.




At N34° 34.330' W118° 17.174' the trail rejoins the road.  Turn to your right and follow the road to N34° 34.052' W118° 17.176'.  Turn left and follow the road to the summit at N34° 33.977' W118° 16.511'.  




After arriving at the summit nearly two hours after I started, I looked around a bit.  I located and signed the summit log.  I also found the benchmark.




 I located a good activation location a very short distance to the west of the summit.  While setting up the station, I noticed the top section of my "Blackwidow" pole had snapped off during the hike.  I was prepared and set up the antenna.  10m band was open and I made some good contacts in the east (New York, Tennesse, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina). 






On the hike out, I noticed we had some company.




During the hike, I stopped at a few geocaches.




If you make this hike during the summer, monitor the weather and bring plenty of water as there is no shade on the trail.  Keep your eyes open for rattlesnakes during the warm months.  I made contacts on 10, 20, and 40 meters.  Thank you chasers!

10m - AC2KL, NE4TN, N4EX, W4KRN, KF4BY, W4DOW, W3ATT, N6JZT

20m - W0MNA, W0ERI, WW7D, N7BHP, KF7JQV, NS7P, KA5PVB

40m - W7RV, NA6MG, KB6CIO, KX6A, WA9STI, NK6A, K6KNS   






No comments:

Post a Comment