Friday, April 18, 2014

Occidental Peak W/6CT-098


Today was a good day to activate Occidental Peak.  Heavy cloud cover and drizzle down below, clear skies up at the peak.  I tried to get here about six weeks ago, but work got in the way.  I parked across the street from the towers and began the hike.  It took me 37 minutes to get to the peak, including a few stops to to take pictures.  This is not a difficult hike, but be aware while on the trail as there are spots that have soft soil, lots of slippery leaves on the ground, and a small amount of rock hopping approaching the peak.


I parked across the street from the towers and began the hike up.


I stopped at Eaton Saddle on the way up Mt. Wilson road.  I had stopped to get a cup of coffee in the Crescenta Valley on the way up and it was drizzling.  I quickly returned home to pick up some rain gear for the hike.  I was driving in these clouds with the wipers on up to Clear Creek Junction when it opened up to sunshine.


Nice view of the towers at Mt. Wilson.  They looked like something you would see in a science fiction movie, reaching out to space.


After crossing a helipad, there is a nice view of Occidental Peak on the left and San Gabriel Peak, W6/CT-019, on the right.  The trail takes off on the left.


There was a pile of rocks at the summit.  Someone had removed the summit canister and it was nowhere to be found.  I spent about ten minutes looking all around the peak for the canister, no luck.


Not only had the summit canister been removed, but someone had shredded the register, tossing the  pieces of paper around on the peak.  What a coincidence that the one piece of shredded paper I looked at had fellow SOTA activator Bob, KB6CIO, written on it.


As I began to work the radio, Roxy settled in to a comfortable spot on the rocks for her nap.  20m was busy.  I had set an alert for 14.347.  However, the upper portion of the band had a lot of activity.  I moved down to 14.318 and fortunately NA6MG found me, putting out a spot.  After a while, I was getting stepped on and Bob, KB6CIO, recommended I move down to 14.317, where he spotted me.  I am always thankful to those that put up the spots.  Thanks guys.


Plenty of spots at the peak to set up the Jackite and run the antenna in a north to south slope.  It seems like this peak was made to activate as there is a four foot gap that runs north to south across the top.  


I really enjoyed being above the clouds and it was hard to believe that it was drizzling down below. Being above the clouds, felt like I was on top of the world.


Off in the distance past the mountain with the flat top is Mt Lukens, W6/CT-030.


Nice view on the way back.  The antenna on the left is where the trail begins.  The observatory is in the center of the photo.

Thanks again to all chasers and spotters.  It was a great day for an activation.

2m - K6QCB

20M - NA6MG, K7NEW, NM5S, KB6CIO, KC9TTR, W2USA, KS5Z, VE7CV, KF7JQV, NS7P, W7LTV, KD0VNQ,

12m - KB6CIO, WA3SEE, KC9TTR, N4EX, N0OI, KI4YZN, W6CHZ, AG6CJ, AE4FZ, NA6MG, K3JWG, KG3W, WA9STI, CO6RQ
  

1 comment: