Sunday, March 8, 2015

Pt. 1838 W6/SC-311

After activating Truinfo Lookout (SC-219), I drove a short distance to SC-311.  The driving directions are similar as to SC-219.  Mulholland Hwy becomes Decker Rd.  Follow Decker Rd and turn right at Decker School Rd  (34° 4.079'N 118° 53.669'W).   Continue on Decker School Rd to the parking area for Malibu Springs Trail (34° 4.415'N 118° 54.304'W).  From the parking area, it is an easy .76 mile trail to the SOTA activation spot.


After parking and loading up, we easily located the trail, designated by a trail sign for "Malibu Springs Trail."



The trail is easy to follow and in good shape.  There are six gecoaches along the trail with the waypoints as excellent markers.



As I was nearing the summit, a couple Marine helicopters, probably from Camp Pendleton, flew up the coast.


After reaching the summit, I set the antenna up along the trail.




The temperature was pushing 80 degrees, about 20 degrees warmer than two hours earlier on Truinfo Lookout.  Fortunately, there was a little shade along the trail for the activation.

  
There were some nice views of the ocean down below and the picture of the mountain is Truinfo Lookout W6/SC-219, where I activated a couple hours earlier.




Although this is an easy hike, I would advise to bring plenty of water, as it can get really hot in this area during the summer months.  Also, keep your eyes open for rattlesnakes.  I didn't spend a lot of time on Pt. 1838, so I didn't have a lot of contacts.  Thank you to all chasers for allowing me to be the first to activate SC-311.  I could hear a lot of SOTA chatter on 2m, but the only 2m contact I had was with Hal, N6JZT, who was about 20 miles south of me in the south bay.

2m - N6JZT

10m -   WA2USB, K8LJG

20m - NS7P, W0MNA, W0ERI

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information on this one! At least you got well over the 4 minimum contacts. I will put it on my to do list when the weather is a bit better.

    ReplyDelete